Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Another warm you up great tasting soup. Thick and hearty. Adapted from Moosewood.
Top Review by Feather
My husband & I really LOVED this soup! It's chunky and hearty a very satifying. We did top it with avacado which cooled the "heat" and added one can of chicken broth because we didn't think there was enough liquid, but all the flavors were GREAT. We were down to our last spoonful when we realized we'd forgotten the sour cream and cilantro - they would have been a good addition, but not necessary. We'll definitly make this again!
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups diced carrots
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, undrained
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo, chopped
- 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup water
- sour cream
- chopped fresh cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large soup pot, add oil; heat over medium heat.
- Add onions and garlic; saute, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Add in the carrots and cumin; cook, stirring often for a few minutes.
- Add in the celery and bell pepper; lower heat, cover and cook for 10 minutes or so.
- Add the beans, chipotle, tomatoes, orange juice, and water; simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Ladle soup into individual serving bowls; top with a dollop of sour cream and sprinkle with cilantro.