Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 hrs
This is so tasty, and healthy too! We love black beans. Prep time does not include soaking and cooking the beans, but does include cooking the chicken. You can, of course, substitute canned beans, just drain them. The soup can also be frozen in a sturdy plastic container, or a ziploc bag. To serve, defrost and heat in microwave or on stovetop.
- 1 lb black beans, soaked, cooked, and drained
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut in bite size pieces
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 large onions, diced
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, one can drained only
- 2 cups corn
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth (I use 99% fat free)
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- Sprinkle chicken pieces with 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, and 1/4 tsp black pepper.
- Cook on medium high heat in small about of oil, until chicken is cooked through and lightly browned, or about 5-7 minutes.
- Combine all ingredients and cooked chicken in crockpot.
- Stir well, and taste to make sure spices are how you like them.
- Cook on high heat one hour, then low for 3-4 hours, or for however long you need it to cook.
- It will be done when you are ready for it.
We didn't love this recipe. Even though it calls for 2 large onions, I only used 2 small ones and it was way too much onion and cumin. I might try it again making some adjustments.
Excellent - a very tasty, well rouned soup. Didn't change anything except added a Tbls of SMOKED Paprika (yummo!) with the cumin and season salt at the end. Thanks!
I thought this was THE BEST soup I've had in a long time. I too thought the cumin would be too much; however it was really what made the soup taste so good! I am taking leftovers to work tomorrow to share with a couple of co-workers who smelled it while I was eating and lunch. I made a large pot and will have some to put in the freezer for another rainy day.