Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
It takes about one hour and thirty minutes to prepare this dish.
- 2 tablespoons plain flour or 2 tablespoons wheat flour
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 1⁄2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup tomato paste
- 1 lb cooked boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
- 1 1⁄2 cups monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces green chili peppers, diced
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 60 inches flour tortillas
- Cut cooled chicken breast in to 1/2 in pieces.
- Drain and rinse canned beans.
- In a medium bowl combine chicken, black beans, 1 cup cheese, chili peppers, cumin powder, and garlic powder.
- Cover and sit in refrigerator until sauce is ready.
- In a small bowl combine flour, chili powder, cocoa powder, and sugar; set aside.
- In a 2 quart saucepan, add tomato sauce, tomato paste and water.
- Mix together using a wire whisk.
- Heat on stovetop medium setting.
- Add flour mixture using wire whisk.
- Continue stirring over medium heat while sauce thickens.
- Simmer slowly on low heat for 30 to 60 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Spray a 9X12 inch glass baking dish with vegetable oil spray.
- Pour one cup enchilada sauce into baking dish and spread evenly.
- As you begin stuffing each tortilla moisten first with 2 tablespoons sauce evenly spread on tortilla.
- Place one cup of filling on each moistened tortilla and roll up.
- Put in baking dish seam side down.
- Pour remaining sauce over enchiladas.
- Bake uncovered 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Return to oven for 5 more minutes.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Great enchiladas! We loved the filling - not too spicy, but just right. The sauce was very good too, but next time I will reduce the chili powder out of personal preference. Thanks for posting!