Prep 10 mins
Cook 22 mins
This hearty dish is a lighter version of the traditional Mexican breakfast favorite. Traditionally a Mexican breakfast, black bean and chicken chilaquiles require only 8 ingredients and can be enjoyed at any time of day. Serve with a mixed green salad topped with diced avocado, tomato wedges, and olives.
- cooking spray
- 236.59 ml thinly sliced onion
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 473.18 ml shredded cooked chicken breasts
- 425.24 g can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 236.59 ml reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 219.70 g canel paso salsa de chile fresco
- 15 (90 inch) corn tortillas, cut into 1-inch strips
- 236.59 ml shredded queso blanco (about 4 ounces)
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onionl saute 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Add garlic; saute 1 minute. Add chicken; cook 30 seconds. Transfer mixture to a medium bowl; stir in beans. Add broth and salsa to pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
- Place half of tortilla strips in bottom of an 11x7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Layer half of chicken mixture over tortillas; top with remaining tortillas and chicken mixture. Pour broth mixture evenly over chicken mixture. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 450°F for 10 minutes or until tortillas are lightly browned and cheese is melted.