Recipe by cmacooks
I made this up with ingredients I had on hand one night, and it won an "Honorable Mention" in Good Housekeeping one month!
Top Review by GrandmaG
I will cook this dish again, but will cut back on the bell peppers, (1/2 of each), and only 1 teaspoon of the celery seed. There were more bell peppers than the rice and black beans and took over everything in flavor. I did like the different colors in the dish, very Fall looking.
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 14 ounces canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1⁄2 whole onion, sliced
- 1 whole green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 whole red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 whole yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 2 whole tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook 1 cup rice according to package directions, about 50 minutes.
- In 2 TB olive oil, saute peppers, garlic and onion until onion is soft but not brown.
- Add tomatoes and mushrooms and seasonings, and steam, covered for about 5-10 minutes.
- Add rinsed beans to cooked rice, and line the casserole dish with the bean and rice mixture.
- Add the sauteed vegetables to the top of this, and top all with cheeses.
- Bake at 350 for 25 minutes, or until cheeses are melted.