Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
I made this up with ingredients I had on hand one night, and it won an "Honorable Mention" in Good Housekeeping one month!
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 14 ounces canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1⁄2 whole onion, sliced
- 1 whole green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 whole red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 whole yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 2 whole tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- Cook 1 cup rice according to package directions, about 50 minutes.
- In 2 TB olive oil, saute peppers, garlic and onion until onion is soft but not brown.
- Add tomatoes and mushrooms and seasonings, and steam, covered for about 5-10 minutes.
- Add rinsed beans to cooked rice, and line the casserole dish with the bean and rice mixture.
- Add the sauteed vegetables to the top of this, and top all with cheeses.
- Bake at 350 for 25 minutes, or until cheeses are melted.
I will cook this dish again, but will cut back on the bell peppers, (1/2 of each), and only 1 teaspoon of the celery seed. There were more bell peppers than the rice and black beans and took over everything in flavor. I did like the different colors in the dish, very Fall looking.
My husband and I are trying to eat mostly vegetarian now (after seeing Food Inc.) and this was a lovely vegetarian dish! I had leftover barley to use up this time so I subbed it for the rice, but I know we will enjoy this with brown rice as well. With the grains already cooked, putting this dish together was a snap! Thank you so much for posting.
Ok, I tried this b/c I had the ingredients and wanted something with black beans and brown rice. I did not have a yellow pepper, so I left it out, also left out the parsley, celery seed and cumin. And there is no cheese listed in the ingredient list so SUPRISE at the end when you are supposed to top "with all the cheeses". I added shredded swiss, cheddar and grated parmesan. Well - it was a hit, my husband LOVED it, and I really liked it much more than I expected to. Thanks for sharing!