Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
A colorful and delicious vegetarian soup
Make and share this Black Bean and Bell Pepper Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel tomatoes & chilies, undrained
- 1 (29 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup whole wheat elbow macaroni
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon cumin (or to taste)
- sour cream (garnish)
- extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (garnish)
- tortilla chips (garnish)
- Saute the green and red bell peppers, onion, and garlic in olive oil over medium heat until softened, about 6-8 minutes.
- In a separate sauce pot, bring salted water to a boil and cook the elbow macaroni according to the package directions. Drain, return to pot, and mix with a little olive oil to prevent sticking.
- Add broth, beans, and Rotel diced tomatoes and chiles to the onion/bell pepper mixture.
- Season with cumin and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Just before serving, add cooked elbow macaroni to the soup.
- Garnish individual bowls of soup with shredded cheddar cheese, crushed tortilla chips and a dollop of sour cream.
I like the soup with a little extra spice. So far have just been adding Tapatio hot sauce. But I'm thinking of dropping some jalapeno bombs and adding some extra spices perhaps. I'd prefer to go 1/2 C on the noodles. Also using whole wheat tortilla chips as a garnish makes this soup bangin'!
Soup is a little thin. Rotel makes it spicy hot--a good thing.