Recipe by Roxygirl in Colorado
The dates make this dressing thick and sweet. Everyone always wants the recipe for this one! Recipe can be halved successfully.
Top Review by sugarpea
What a fascinating combination of textures, flavors and colors. I was a bit heavy-handed with the honey which was totally unnecessary and I forgot the instruction to add just enough dressing to the salad to coat the beans. I poured it all on which, again, was a bit heavy-handed. Even so this tasted great. I must tell you that the dressed salad thins out considerably when left to stand for as little as 1 hour. So you can have the vinaigrette thick or thin, your choice.
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 16 dates, pitted and finely chopped (about 4 ounces)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lime juice (I've used lemon juice, too)
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 teaspoons dried oregano
- 4 teaspoons honey
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 4 teaspoons ground coriander (I omit)
- 4 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil water and dates in small saucepan 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Cover and let stand 1 hour to soften.
- Transfer date mixture to blender.
- Add lime juice, oil, oregano, honey, cumin, and coriander and puree.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- (Can be made ahead 1 day. Cover and Refrigerate. Let stand until room temperature to serve).
- Combine black beans, chopped bell peppers, onion, and parsley in large bowl.
- Toss salad with enough vinaigrette to coat.
- (Can be made 6 hours ahead. Let stand until room temperature to serve.).