Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
The dates make this dressing thick and sweet. Everyone always wants the recipe for this one! Recipe can be halved successfully.
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 16 dates, pitted and finely chopped (about 4 ounces)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lime juice (I've used lemon juice, too)
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 teaspoons dried oregano
- 4 teaspoons honey
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 4 teaspoons ground coriander (I omit)
- 4 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Boil water and dates in small saucepan 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Cover and let stand 1 hour to soften.
- Transfer date mixture to blender.
- Add lime juice, oil, oregano, honey, cumin, and coriander and puree.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- (Can be made ahead 1 day. Cover and Refrigerate. Let stand until room temperature to serve).
- Combine black beans, chopped bell peppers, onion, and parsley in large bowl.
- Toss salad with enough vinaigrette to coat.
- (Can be made 6 hours ahead. Let stand until room temperature to serve.).
What a fascinating combination of textures, flavors and colors. I was a bit heavy-handed with the honey which was totally unnecessary and I forgot the instruction to add just enough dressing to the salad to coat the beans. I poured it all on which, again, was a bit heavy-handed. Even so this tasted great. I must tell you that the dressed salad thins out considerably when left to stand for as little as 1 hour. So you can have the vinaigrette thick or thin, your choice.