Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I really love this soup! I love how everything is pureed except for the crumbled bacon and green onions at the end. If you like a chunky soup, you could omit pureeing the soup or just puree half of the mixture! This recipe can easily be done in the crockpot, too. Great served with cornbread. Enjoy!!
- 6 -8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 3 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 1 -2 serrano peppers (optional) or 1 -2 jalapeno pepper, minced (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed, drained
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, finely sliced
- Saute onions, celery, carrots, peppers and garlic in bacon drippings in saucepan over medium heat. Cook until crisp-tender.
- Stir in beans, broth and cayenne. Simmer 15 min., stirring occasionally.
- Pour soup into food processor or blender container; cover. Process until pureed. (I use an immersion blender, so I puree right in the saucepan.) Return soup to saucepan.
- Stir in bacon; cook until heated through, stirring occasionally.
- Garnish with green onions if desired.
YUM! This soup is fantastic! I served with grilled ham and cheese sandwiches and we almost finished the entire pot... and it was just DH and I! As I was cooking I thought the bean to veggie ratio was off and may need to add another can of beans but after I blended it was perfect. I will definitely make this again. Thanks KPD!