Recipe by KPD
I really love this soup! I love how everything is pureed except for the crumbled bacon and green onions at the end. If you like a chunky soup, you could omit pureeing the soup or just puree half of the mixture! This recipe can easily be done in the crockpot, too. Great served with cornbread. Enjoy!!
Top Review by KLBoyle
YUM! This soup is fantastic! I served with grilled ham and cheese sandwiches and we almost finished the entire pot... and it was just DH and I! As I was cooking I thought the bean to veggie ratio was off and may need to add another can of beans but after I blended it was perfect. I will definitely make this again. Thanks KPD!
- 6 -8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 3 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 1 -2 serrano peppers (optional) or 1 -2 jalapeno pepper, minced (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed, drained
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, finely sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onions, celery, carrots, peppers and garlic in bacon drippings in saucepan over medium heat. Cook until crisp-tender.
- Stir in beans, broth and cayenne. Simmer 15 min., stirring occasionally.
- Pour soup into food processor or blender container; cover. Process until pureed. (I use an immersion blender, so I puree right in the saucepan.) Return soup to saucepan.
- Stir in bacon; cook until heated through, stirring occasionally.
- Garnish with green onions if desired.