Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Yummy black bean soup!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 -2 teaspoon ground cumin (I use the full 2 tsp)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne powder (to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 6 plum tomatoes, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 3 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained
- 3 -4 cups vegetable broth, depending how thin you want it (or chicken broth)
- 2 Hass avocadoes, peeled, pitted and diced
- 1 fresh lime, juice of
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, for garnish
- In a large soup pot, saute onion and garlic in olive oil about 5 to 7 minutes, or until soft.
- Add cumin, cayenne powder, cinnamon, salt, sugar and cilanto; sauté an additional 2 to 3 minutes until very fragrant, stirring often.
- Add tomatoes and beans; cook an additional 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add broth to the pot and bring to a boil; simmer gently for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Puree 1 cup of this mixture and return back to pot.
- Stir in avocado, and lime juice. Heat through.
- Place in serving bowls and sprinkle with shredded cheese.
This was wonderful! We loved it! The only thing I did differently was add shredded chicken in the soup for additional protein per my hubby's request. I don't eat cheese so I ate it with a spoonful of full fat plain greek yogurt and it was delightful! Avocados are a super food and are eaten often in our home, we eat at least 2 a day, so I'm always looking for recipes that can incorporate avocados somehow. This one is a keeper! Thank you for sharing!
it was ok. I couldn't get anyone else to eat it though. It needs something to liven it up. And the avocados ended up as bland little chunks.
Boyfriend who is trying to put on weight loved this, thanks!