Recipe by 911spatcher
This is one of my very favorite soups! I got this recipe off CopyKat.com. Prep time includes baking time for the potatoes.
Top Review by I Love T.
This soup is absolutely wonderful. Every time we ever went to Black Angus this was one of our favorites. I have improved on the recipe. If you really like the bacon flavor in the soup, after you cook the bacon save the fat. Substitute one third cup of bacon fat for one third cup of butter and use one third cup of butter to equal two thirds cup of fat. There is a wonderful recipe for the potato skins on this website also.
- 4 large baking potatoes
- 158.51 ml butter
- 158.51 ml flour
- 1419.54 ml milk
- 3.69 ml salt
- 2.46 ml black pepper
- 2.46 ml white pepper
- 4 green onions, chopped and divided
- 12 slice bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 295.73 ml cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- 226.79 g sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash, dry and prick potatoes with a fork. Bake at 400 for 1 hour or until done. Let cool and cut in half lengthwise and scoop out the pulp, set aside. Use the skins for something else, such as fried potato skins!
- Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat, add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk, cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until the mixture is thickened and bubbly.
- Add potato pulp, salt, peppers, 2 Tbsp green onion, half the bacon, and 1 cup of the cheese. Cook until thoroughly heated. Stir in the sour cream.
- Add extra milk if necessary for desired consistency.
- Serve with remaining green onions, bacon and cheese.