This is one of my very favorite soups! I got this recipe off CopyKat.com. Prep time includes baking time for the potatoes.
- Wash, dry and prick potatoes with a fork. Bake at 400 for 1 hour or until done. Let cool and cut in half lengthwise and scoop out the pulp, set aside. Use the skins for something else, such as fried potato skins!
- Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat, add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk, cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until the mixture is thickened and bubbly.
- Add potato pulp, salt, peppers, 2 Tbsp green onion, half the bacon, and 1 cup of the cheese. Cook until thoroughly heated. Stir in the sour cream.
- Add extra milk if necessary for desired consistency.
- Serve with remaining green onions, bacon and cheese.