Recipe by Dave
This is actually two soups that can be served separately or together. Each soup serves four; combined, the two serve eight.
Top Review by DeeCooks
This recipe is from Boudros on the River Walk in San Antonio and appeared in Bon Appetit magazine. For the original black bean soup part of the recipe you can look it up on Epicurious. I just think recipes should be credited.
- 2 tablespoons butter (1/4 stick)
- 1⁄2 large red bell pepper, cut into matchstick-size pieces
- 1⁄2 large yellow bell pepper, cut into matchstick-size pieces
- 1⁄2 large green bell pepper, cut into matchstick-size pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock or 1 1⁄2 cups low sodium chicken broth, canned
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 8 ounces sharp white cheddar cheese, grated (about 2 cups)
- black bean soup
- tomatillo salsa
- sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- For cheese soup: Melt butter in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add peppers, onion and garlic. Saute vegetables until tender, about 6 minutes.
- Add flour and stir 2 minutes.
- Whisk in stock, then milk and cream. Simmer until slightly thickened, stirring constantly, about 3 minutes.
- Gradually add cheese 1/2 cup at a time, stirring after each addition until melted and smooth.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To serve, simultaneously ladle generous 1/2 cup cheese soup and generous 1/2 cup Black Bean Soup into shallow bowls, a llowing soups to meet in center. Top with tomatillo salsa and sour cream.