Recipe by Saturn
I adopted this recipe from the RecipeZaar account. I have not had a chance to make this myself.
Top Review by kittycatmom
My DH took these to a charity bake sale. They went right away, and one of the teachers asked if I could make more for her to give to her students. I will be making them this weekend for 30 kids! Thanks Saturn! Get the feeling I'll be making these often! Made for 2009 Fall PAC
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate (not unsweetened) or 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon, rind of
- 1 1⁄2 cups cake flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1⁄3 cup buttermilk
Directions See How It's Made
- For chocolate icing: Bring cream and corn syrup just to simmer in heavy small saucepan over medium heat.
- Remove from heat.
- Add chocolate and vanilla; whisk until melted and smooth.
- For white icing: Whisk all ingredients in small bowl to blend.
- Let both icings stand 1 1/2 hours at room temperature to thicken.
- For cupcakes: Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Line 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
- Whisk eggs, vanilla, and lemon peel in medium bowl to blend.
- Mix cake flour, baking powder, and salt in another medium bowl.
- Using electric mixer, beat sugar and butter in large bowl until well blended, stopping occasionally to scrape down sides of bowl.
- Gradually beat in egg mixture.
- Beat in dry ingredients alternately with buttermilk in 2 additions each.
- Divide batter among cups.
- Bake until tester inserted into centers comes out clean, about 25 minutes.
- Cool cupcakes in pan on rack 5 minutes.
- Remove cupcakes from pan and cool completely.
- Spread chocolate icing over half of each cupcake.
- Spread white icing on second half of each cupcake.
- Let stand until set, about 1 hour.