1/1 Photo of Black and White Cookies
Dreamer in Ontario's Note:
This is another family favourite Christmas Cookie from Dr. Oetker German Home Baking Oetker products can be purchased at major groceries and German delicatessens. Preparation time does not include refrigeration time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 9 ounces flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 5 1/2 ounces sugar
- 1/3 ounce vanillin sugar (1 packet Oetker vanillin sugar)
- 1/8 ounce rum flavoring (1 bottle of Oetker rum flavour)
- 1 egg
- 4 1/2 ounces butter or 4 1/2 ounces margarine
- egg whites or water
- 2Mix the flour and baking powder and sieve onto a pastry board.
- 3Make a well in the centre and pour in the sugar, vanillin sugar, flavourings and egg.
- 4Draw in some flour from the sides of the well and mix together to form a thickish paste.
- 5Cut the cold butter or margarine into small pieces and add it to the mixture in the centre.
- 6Cover this mixture with more flour.
- 7Starting from the middle work all the ingredients quickly with your hands into a firm, smooth paste.
- 8If the mixture is sticky, refrigerate until firm.
- 9Cut the pastry into two halves.
- 10Combine the cocoa, sugar and milk.
- 11Add to one of the pastry halves and knead until blended.
- 12Pinwheel Pattern:.
- 13Roll out 2 same-sized rectangulars, one light pastry and 1 dark pastry.
- 14Brush 1 layer with egg white.
- 15Place 2nd layer on top.
- 16Brush this layer with egg white.
- 17Roll up like a swiss roll.
- 18Chequered Pattern:.
- 19Roll out light pastry into a rectangle (3/8 inch or 1 cm thick).
- 20Cut into 5 strips of 3/8 inch or 1 cm thickness.
- 21Roll our the dark pastry to the same size and thickness and cut into 4- 3/8 inch or 1 cm wide strips and the same length as the light pastry.
- 22Brush them with egg white and arrange the strips of pastry in 3 layers of 3 strips each layer with the colours alternating.
- 23Wrap the whole in a thin layer of pastry.
- 24Easy Pattern:.
- 25Using half of pastry, form a roll about 1 1/4 inch or 3 cm in diameter.
- 26Brush with egg white.
- 27Roll our the other half into an oblong and wrap around the roll.
- 28Refrigerate the rolls until the are stiff.
- 29Cut into same sized slices of about 1/4 inch thickness.
- 30Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 31Bake on a greased cookie sheet for 10 to 15 minutes.
Browse Our Top Rolled Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolled Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Black and White Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (636 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 87.6
- Calories from Fat 33
- Total Fat 3.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 15.4 mg
- Sodium 45.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 5.6 g
- Protein 1.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: