Prep 40 mins
Cook 10 mins
Posted per request. These are fun to make with kids on rainy no-school days--kids have so much fun frosting these. Recipe source: Bon Appetit (March 1985)
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine, room temperature
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups flour
- 1 3⁄4 cups powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons hot water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- To make the cookies:.
- Preheat oven to 375-degrees F.
- Spray 2 cookie sheets with Pam or lightly grease sheets.
- Cream butter with sugar in a large bowl of electric mixer. Add eggs, vanilla and salt and blend to combine. With a wooden spoon stir in flour.
- With your hands shape dough into 1 1/4-inch balls and then transfer them to prepared cookie sheets. Flatten slightly.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until browned.
- Cool on racks while making icing.
- To make icing: Blend 1 cup powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons hot water, 1 tablespoon oil, vanilla and lemon juice in a small bowl until smooth. In a seperate bowl, blend remaiing sugar (3/4 cup), hot water (2 tablespoons) and oil (1 tablespoon) with cocoa powder until smooth.
- When cookies are completely cool, spread half of bottom, side and top of each cookie with white icing and the other half of each cookie with dark icing. Repeat with the rest of the cookies.
- Let stand until icing is set.
I used this recipe for the icing. It came out perfect! I melted 1 tbsp of butter instead of oil and heated it up with the water. The icing was very easy to spread. I was surprised by how great the icing looked and tasted.
I LOVED this recipe!!! My friends and family loved it as well! They were fun and easy to make. The only thing I did different was use 2 tablespoons butter instead of vegetable oil in the icing--and after a while when the icing started to dry up, I just added a couple drops of water to keep it spreadable.
These were fairly easy to make. The icing got a little messy, but it wasn't too bad. My DD#1 thought they were a little dry but DD#2 loved them.