Prep 24 hrs
Cook 12 mins
have not tried these yet..but can't wait till the holiday season
- 1⁄4 cup Crisco
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups flour
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate squares, melt, cool
- 1 large egg white
- 2 teaspoons water
- in large bowl, beat crisco, butter, sugar, vanilla and stir till light and fluffy --
- beat in egg, stir in flour, 1/2 cup at a time.mix well.
- Divide dough in half, blend melted chocolate into other 1/2 of dough.
- wrap each in plastic wrap and chill for about 1 hour in the refrigerator.
- beat egg white with water and set aside.
- on lightly floured board, roll white dough into a rectangle 1/2" thick.cut into 9 strips -- 1/2" wide.
- repeat with chocolate dough --
- to make checkerboards -- place three strips side by side, touching on a large piece of plastic wrap.brush tops with egg white.cread a third layer, alternating colors.
- press sides and top to make one smooth log --
- fold excess plastic wrap to seal.
- repeat and make second log --
- refrigerate overnight.
- preheat oven to 325* -- lightly grease sheet.
- remove one log at a time and cut into 1/4" slices.arrange on sheet 1" apart.
- bake 12 minutes.remove to rack to cool completely -- .