Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Delicious cookies that are so light, but oh so good.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup applesauce
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons 2% low-fat milk, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- Preheat oven to 375°F Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Set applesauce in a fine sieve to drain while you prepare the other ingredients.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until smooth, 1-2 minutes. Beat in applesauce, vanilla and lemon juice. Add in egg whites and beat until well combined. Stir in flour mixture until batter is smooth.
- Drop batter two tablespoonfuls at a time onto the prepared baking sheet. Smooth slightly to form nice, round circles.
- Bake for 10 minutes, until set but not browned.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.