Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Moist, lowfat, chocolate AND vanilla in ONE CAKE! Doesn't need frosting. I have made this so many times over the years with great success. PERFECT for the smaller family! A big kudos to Cooking Light!
- cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 large egg whites
- 3⁄4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Coat an 8 inch square pan with cooking spray, dust with 2 teaspoons flour.
- Place butter in large microwavable safe bowl. Cover and microwave 1 minute, or til butter melts. Add sugar, stir with a whisk. Add vanilla and egg whites, stir well. Stir in buttermilk, salt, baking soda.
- Lightly spoon 1 1/2 C flour into dry measuring cups, level with knife. Add flour, stirring JUST till blended. (DO NOT OVERSTIR) Spread half of batter into prepared pan. Add cocoa and almond extract to remaining batter, stir well with a whisk. Slowly pour chocolate batter over batter in pan.
- Bake 350 degrees for 30 min or till wooden pick comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pan on wire rack. Cut into squares.
- 9 squares: Each cake square: 255 calories/5g protein/40.9g carb/22mg chol/1.3mg iron/324mg sod/32mg calc.
Very good... Perfect for a small family like ours, tastes great and it's healthy!! Thanks Amber, we'll definately make this again!
Very good cake. I had exactly 3/4 cup buttermilk to use up and since we are eating low fat these days, this recipe fit the bill. I haven't been making many desserts these days so the family was excited. I loved the almond extract to the chocolate part. It came together quickly and made a great dessert. Thanks Amber!
Wonderful cake. It didn't turn out very black and white. Not sure what happened, because when I went to add the chocolate batter on top of the white, it kinda just melded into each other. Be that as it may, I liked the ease of preparation and it had just the right amount of moistness for me and since I'm a almond extract fan, it was an added bonus. delicious! :)