Recipe by Amberngriffinco
Moist, lowfat, chocolate AND vanilla in ONE CAKE! Doesn't need frosting. I have made this so many times over the years with great success. PERFECT for the smaller family! A big kudos to Cooking Light!
- cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 large egg whites
- 3⁄4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Coat an 8 inch square pan with cooking spray, dust with 2 teaspoons flour.
- Place butter in large microwavable safe bowl. Cover and microwave 1 minute, or til butter melts. Add sugar, stir with a whisk. Add vanilla and egg whites, stir well. Stir in buttermilk, salt, baking soda.
- Lightly spoon 1 1/2 C flour into dry measuring cups, level with knife. Add flour, stirring JUST till blended. (DO NOT OVERSTIR) Spread half of batter into prepared pan. Add cocoa and almond extract to remaining batter, stir well with a whisk. Slowly pour chocolate batter over batter in pan.
- Bake 350 degrees for 30 min or till wooden pick comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pan on wire rack. Cut into squares.
- 9 squares: Each cake square: 255 calories/5g protein/40.9g carb/22mg chol/1.3mg iron/324mg sod/32mg calc.