Recipe by Lainey39
I got this from Woman's Day magazine and thought it looks good. I can't wait to try it.
Top Review by Sassy in da South
This is sooooo good. I think I originally made this recipe from a Dorie Greenspan cookbook. I was looking for the recipe the other day and couldnt find the right cookbook. So glad you posted it here! This makes a really unique type of banana bread that is very moist. Give it a try! Thanks Lainey!
- 1 1⁄3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg or 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1⁄2 medium ripe bananas
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup butter, plus
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2⁄3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 325 degrees. Butter an 8x4x2 1/2 inch loaf pan; dust with flour; tap out excess.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg in a small bowl until blended.
- In another small bowl, mash bananas with lemon zest and juice; stir in rum.
- Microwave chocolate and 2 T butter, stirring every 10 seconds, until melted and blended.
- Beat remaining butter with mixer on medium speed 3 minutes or until creamy. Add sugars; beat 2-3 minutes until light and smooth.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time. Beat in vanilla (batter will look curdled).
- Reduce mixer speed to low and beat in 1/2 the flour mixture just until blended. Beat in milk until combined, then remaining flour mixture. Scrape down bowl; beat in banana mixture (batter will look lumpy).
- Stir a little less than 1/2 the batter into melted chocolate to blend. Drop alternating spoonfuls of both batters into prepared pan. Using a table knife, swirl batters together, taking care not to overdo it.
- Bake 1 hour and 20 to 30 minutes (check cake after 45 minutes and cover loosely with foil if it's getting too brown), until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out with moist crumbs attached.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack 15 minutes before inverting on rack, turning right side up and cooling completely.