1 hr 15 mins
This was so popular that you can now buy it as a mix. It is with Barefoot Contessa's line of delicacies. Taken from show episode: Job Well Done, Copyright 2006. This recipe is easy and it turns out deliciously! It has pieces of chocolate in the cake and then with the glaze, it is marvelous!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups sifted superfine sugar
- 1 1/3 cups sifted cake flour (not self-rising)
- 10 -12 egg whites, at room temperature
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup coarsely grated semisweet chocolate
- 2Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- 3Combine 1/2 cup of the sugar with the flour and sift them together 4 times.
- 4Set aside.
- 5Place the egg whites, salt, and cream of tartar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment and beat on high speed until the eggs form medium-firm peaks, about 1 minute.
- 6With the mixer on medium speed, add the remaining 1 1/2 cups of sugar by sprinkling it over the beaten egg whites.
- 7Beat on high speed for a few minutes until thick and shiny.
- 8Add the vanilla and continue to whisk until very thick, about 1 more minute.
- 9Scrape the beaten egg whites into a large bowl.
- 10Sift 1/4 of the flour mixture over the egg whites and fold it very carefully into the batter with a rubber spatula.
- 11Continue adding the flour in 3 equal additions, sifting and folding until it's all incorporated.
- 12Fold in the grated chocolate.
- 13Pour the batter into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan, smooth the top, and bake it for 35 to 45 minutes, until it springs back to the touch.
- 14Remove the cake from the oven and invert the pan on a cooling rack.(I used to invert it onto an empty bottle of coke)
- 15When cool, run a thin, flexible knife around the cake to remove it from the pan.
- 16FOR CHOCOLATE GLAZE:
- 17Place the chocolate chips and the heavy cream in a heat-proof bowl over a pan of simmering water and stir until the chocolate melts.
- 18Pour the chocolate over the top of the cooled cake to cover the top completely and allow it to drizzle down the sides.
- 19If you have chocolate glaze left over, you can serve it on the side with the cake.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Black and White Angel Food Cake
Serving Size: 1 (141 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 561.2
- Calories from Fat 198
- Total Fat 22.0 g
- Saturated Fat 13.3 g
- Cholesterol 33.1 mg
- Sodium 247.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 89.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 65.9 g
- Protein 9.1 g