Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
From Cooking Light, April 2007.
Make and share this Black and White Angel Food Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 12 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened dark cocoa
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons light cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon 1% low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 teaspoon unsweetened dark cocoa
- sliced strawberry (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- CAKE: Combine flour and 3/4 cup granulated sugar, stirring with a whisk; set aside.
- Place cream of tartar, salt, and egg whites in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until foamy.
- Add remaining 3/4 cup granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form.
- Beat in juice and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla.
- Sift flour mixture over egg white mixture, 1/4 cup at a time; fold in after each addition.
- Spoon half of batter into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan, spreading evenly. Break air pockets by cutting through batter with a knife.
- Sift 2 tablespoons cocoa over remaining batter; fold together.
- Spoon cocoa batter evenly over top of vanilla batter; break air pockets by cutting through cocoa layer with a knife.
- Bake for 55 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched.
- Invert pan; cool completely.
- Loosen cake from sides of pan using a narrow metal spatula.
- Invert cake onto a plate.
- GLAZE: Place powdered sugar, cream cheese, milk, and 1 teaspoon vanilla in a medium bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth.
- Drizzle half of glaze over cake.
- Add 3/4 teaspoon cocoa to remaining glaze; stir well to combine.
- Drizzle cocoa glaze over cake.
- Refrigerate 5 minutes or until glaze is set.
- Garnish with strawberries, if desired.