This is a favorite at a local restaurant I used to work at named Elijah's here in Wilmington. All of the topping measurements are approximate, put as many or as few as you want! The spicyness of the blackening spice and the potent cheese are wonderous with the sweet balsamic dressing. The original salad at the restaurant also includes cherry tomatoes, but since neither I or my boyfriend care for raw tomatoes we left them off!
- Heat your grill pan or grill to medium-high heat.
- Equally distribute the lettuce between 3 or 4 bowls (or 2 if you're feeding big appetites) and top with the chopped veggies and croutons if desired.
- Sprinkle the steak liberally with the blackening seasoning and place in hot grill pan. Cook 3 minutes per side for medium rare. (The steak I used was about 3/4 inch thick.).
- Once cooked to desired doneness, let the meat rest a few minutes before slicing into strips. (You may cut it into more bite size pieces but it will not be as pretty.).
- Place the steak slices on top of each salad. Top the warm meat with the bleu cheese and serve with the balsamic on the side.