Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
From www.TopSecretRecipes.com Have not tried this yet, but will very soon. Enjoy!
Make and share this Bj's Restaurant & Brewhouse Chili by Todd Wilbur recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 2 cups diced onions (1 medium onion)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans (with liquid)
- 1 (15 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle light beer (use Bass Pale Ale)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, chopped
- Brown ground meats in a large saucepan over medium heat. Drain off excess fat.
- Add onion, chili powder, salt, garlic powder, thyme, black pepper, cayenne, and spices, and sauté for an additional 5 minutes.
- Combine flour with water and add mixture to pan.
- Add remaining ingredients, bring chili to a simmer, and then let it simmer uncovered for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Serve 1 1/4 cups of chili in a bowl or in a carved-out round of sourdough bread. Mix shredded cheeses and then top chili with 1/4 cup of the cheese blend, a tablespoon of sour cream and a tablespoon of chopped green onions on top.
Fantastic Chili. My husband said "better than BJ's Brewhouse chili!"
I have been to BJ's many times and one of my favorite things to get is the chili and a salad. I have tried this recipe and it is very, very close to the original. I will be using this recipe from now on in my kitchen. I highly recommend this recipe and the original dish.