A flavorful apple pie with a flaky, delicious crust that is an all-around favorite! When my daughter was 12, she got the recipe from a cooking class at the Superstore - and she has been making them ever since!
Ingredients for Crust
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 1 egg yolk
Ingredients for Pie filling
- 3 apples
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Ingredients for Crumble
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup oatmeal
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- For crust, mix together the flour, sugar and salt.
- Cut in shortening until the mixture resembles coarse pieces.
- Add in yolk and water.
- Mix gently until dough is combined.
- Roll out the pastry to 1/8" thick. Add flour if it's too sticky.
- Gently lay in pie plate and trim edges to fit. Use fingers to create a neat edge for the pie shell.
- For the apple filling, peel, core, and slice apples.
- Pour lemon juice on apple slices to prevent browning.
- Add sugar and cinnamon to apples, mix well.
- Arrange apple mixture in pie shell and set aside.
- For the crumble, mix all ingredients in a bowl with a fork.
- Gently spread over pie, pressing down only slightly.
- Sprinkle cinnamon on top of pie.
- Bake pie at 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes.