Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 40 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a dense cake which is very buttery and a lovely almond flavor. Especially good with frosting and can support fondant. I use Marshmallow Fondant which you can make at home and tastes superior to the pre-made fondant. I'm listing the ingredients for the almond buttercream frosting, however I personally prefer to still use Buttercream Icing I recipe, which is my favorite. I have made the soaking syrup without the Brandy when I made this cake for my daughter's birthday and it was still delicious. ***Just a few thoughts on ingredients: I personally feel if I'm making from scratch to buy a good quality extract, I use a Bourbon Vanilla from Madagascar and only use Pure Almond Extract. Be advised that Almond Extract is a strong flavor, so use less if you prefer or halve it with Vanilla extract. I also never use butter with salt in it. Look for unsalted butter or sweet cream butter. I would prefer to control the amount of salt in my recipes. Happy Baking!
- 3 cups self-rising flour
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 eggs (separated)
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup brandy
- 3 teaspoons almond extract
Almond Buttercream Frosting
- 2 lbs confectioners' sugar
- 2 cups crisco vegetable shortening
- 1 tablespoon vanilla flavoring
- 3 tablespoons almond flavoring
- 3 -6 tablespoons water
- Using mixer on med-high to high speed cream together the butter and sugar, until pale cream in color.
- Add egg yolks, incorporate one at a time. Then add in flavoring extract.
- Lower mixer speed to low and alternately add milk and flour, ending with flour.
- Whisk egg whites to stiff peak consistency. Add to cake batter and fold in gently. Do not add all at once. Add egg whites into batter a small amount at a time.
- Pour into cake pans. Bake for 20 - 30 minutes until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
- Soaking Syrup:.
- Bring water to boil then add sugar until it dissolves and becomes a syrup, Remove from heat until lukewarm. Then add liquor (if you wish) and almond extract.
- Almond Buttercream Frosting:.
- Sift powdered sugar 2 - 3 times. In a xtra large mixing bowl beat the shortening until creamy . Slowly add powdered sugar . Then add flavorings. Add water as needed to make a stiff spreadable consistency.
This is cake I used to have at all of my birthday parties growing up. I was looking for a good recipe because I have an order for one coming up soon. This recipe is perfectly moist and delicious. I loved it! It remained me of my youth. The only small adjustments I made to the recipe was I made buttercream using butter and coconut extract, I omitted the almond and used vanilla extract (just because I prefer the taste) &. I also made a guava and pineapple filling to go between the layers. Other than that the cake was fantastic!!