1/1 Photo of Bizcocho De Chocolate
2 hrs 50 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
Chef Kate's Note:
This is the Mexican version of the flourless chocolate cake. The under-lying note of cinnamon and orange pairs perfectly with the sweet unctuousness of the chocolate glaze. Cooking time includes cooling the cake, but not bringing your eggs to room temperature.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- 2Line an 8" square baking pan with parchment.
- 3Finely grind the almonds, 6 ounces of the chocolate (reserve the rest of the chocolate for the glaze), the orange zest and 2 teaspoons of the cinnamon in the food processor.
- 4In a large bowl, whisk the egg yolks with 3 tablespoons of the sugar until pale yellow and thick.
- 5Fold in the nut mixture; the batter will be very thick.
- 6In another large bowl, beat the egg whites and the salt until frothy.
- 7Gradually add the remaining 3 tablespoons of sugar, continuing to beat until peaks form.
- 8Fold half the beaten egg whites into the almond mixture to lighten it, then gently fold in the other half.
- 9Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top with a spatula.
- 10Bake for 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- 11Let the cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes, turn out onto a rack , peel off the parchment paper, and cool completely.
- 12To make the glaze, heat the cream and butter over medium low heat until steam rises from the surface.
- 13Remove from the heat, and stir in the remaining three ounces of chocolate and 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon, until the chocolate is fully melted and incorporated.
- 14Cool for 15 minutes, or until the glaze is lukewarm.
- 15Pour over the cake, letting it drip down the sides.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bizcocho De Chocolate
Serving Size: 1 (99 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 9
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 258.0
- Calories from Fat 178
- Total Fat 19.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.9 g
- Cholesterol 133.3 mg
- Sodium 106.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 9.7 g
- Protein 8.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
oranges, zest of