Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Got this from a video on NYT.com. Mark Bittman really stressed minimizing the stirring to keep the muffins' texture light (rather than like sawdust). I used white whole wheat flour rather than pastry milled, folded the barest minimum, and then put the rather crumbly "batter" in the tins by briefly molded handfuls rather than with a spoon. Sure got some glowing reviews from the family.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Prepare 12 cup muffin tin with non-stick spray or paper liners.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together the melted butter, banana, egg and buttermilk.
- Fold wet into dry and stir until just combined.
- Fill muffin cups and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until puffed and golden brown. Serve warm.