Prep 40 mins
Cook 12 mins
A hint of strawberry flavor adds an unexpected twist to this chocolaty dessert. The cocoa-flavored crust is topped with a layer of chocolate and almond-laced mascarpone. There is 3 hrs chill time not mentioned in posted times
- 2⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 cup ground blanched almond
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄4 cups whipping cream
- 12 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup strawberry jam
WHIPPED ALMOND MASCARPONE
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄8 teaspoon almond extract
- bittersweet chocolate, shavings (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- FOR CRUST:.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, powdered sugar, ground almonds, butter, and cocoa powder.
- Beat with an electric mixer until combined.
- Knead gently with hands until mixture comes together.
- Press dough onto the bottom and up the side of an ungreased 9- or 9 1/2-inch fluted square or round tart pan that has a removable bottom or a 9-inch pie plate.
- Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until crust is slightly puffed.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack.
- FOR FILLING:.
- In a medium saucepan, combine whipping cream, the 12 ounces chocolate, and the granulated sugar.
- Cook over medium heat just until chocolate is melted, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer to a medium bowl; whisk in strawberry jam.
- Cover and chill about 1 hour or until mixture is cooled and slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Beat cooled chocolate mixture about 30 seconds or just until the color lightens slightly.
- Pour into crust, spreading evenly.
- Cover and chill about 2 hours or until firm.
- PEREPARE WHIPPED ALMOND MASCARPONE:.
- In a medium bowl, combine half of an 8-ounce carton mascarpone cheese, 2/3 cup sugar, 1/3 cup whipping cream, and 1/8 teaspoon almond extract. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth.
- Beat on high speed until mixture is thick and holds firm peaks.
- TO SERVE:.
- Using a small sharp knife, gently loosen edge of crust from side of pan. Remove side of tart pan.
- Spread the whipped mascarpone over top of tart.
- If desired, sprinkle each serving with the chocolate shavings. Makes 10 servings.
I was very pleased that although decadently rich, creamy and chocolatey, with almond and strawberry undertones ~ this is a very complex tart! ~ this is nonetheless simple and straightforward in its preparation. I thought it might be very sweet, but no, it is more rich than sweet, the dark chocolate counters the creamy topping. I made as directed, making the base first and leaving it to cool, then the chocolate filling. I left the filling to cool for a few hours, then poured it on the base and refrigerated overnight. The next day I made the mascarpone topping, and back into the fridge. I actually made two, one for us and one for my sons girlfriends family, since they are great chocaholics and I though they would enjoy it (as indeed they did!) Only DH and my one daughter really like sweet things, so they have agreed to share our tart, she will take half back to varsity with her to see her through to the weekend! Thanks Annacia, stunning recipe that I will make again, for guests.