1/1 Photo of Bittersweet or White Chocolate Ice Cream
1 hr 25 mins
This easy recipe will make either type of chocolate ice cream with no custard to cook with or without an ice cream maker! Prep time includes 50 mins of pre chilling. Please note that both myself and the first reviewer got "micro chips" of chocolate instead of it being entirely smooth. I don't know if that will happen all of the time OR if it will happen with the white chocolate. We both enjoyed the tiny chips very much though.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1WITH ICE CREAM MAKER:.
- 2Heat milk (stove or microwave) until it just begins to bubble.
- 3Meanwhile, process chocolate in a food processor or blender until the chocolate is finely chopped.
- 4Mix chocolate and sugar.
- 5Combine hot milk and chocolate mixture and blend until chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth.
- 7Once cool, stir in heavy cream and vanilla.
- 8Chill for at least 50 minutes.
- 9Pour mixture into your ice cream maker.
- 10Mix in ice cream machine for 25-30 minutes or according to manufacturer's instructions.
- 11WITHOUT ICE CREAM MAKER (general instructions for all recipes):.
- 12Mix up the ice cream recipe as directed.
- 13Pour the ice cream mixture into a wide, airtight container, metal bowls work best. Make sure the bowl you choose is wide rather than tall. A wide bowl aids freezing and allows you to mix your ice cream easily.
- 14Place ice cream in refrigerator for at least 1 hour. Ice cream will need to be in fridge longer if the mixture has been heated and cooked. Ice cream must be well chilled before proceeding.
- 15Place the chilled ice cream mixture in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- 16Beat ice cream mixture with an electric mixer until smooth. The edges of your ice cream should have started to thicken. Scrape the edges with a fork or spatula and beat with an electric mixer to add air to the mixture and break up ice crystals. You can use a fork instead of an electric mixer, but the ice cream will be less smooth and creamy.
- 17Place ice cream in the freezer for 40 minutes - then beat with an electric mixer.
- 18Repeat "40 minute freeze-then-beat cycle" 3 times.
- 19This should total 2 1/2 hours of freezing.
- 20You can choose to either beat your ice cream mixture every 40 minutes until frozen or let your ice cream mixture freeze on its own.
- 21Either method works fine. The more you beat it, the softer it will be.
- 22Total freezing time can take anywhere between 3-5 hours.
- 23If you want to add mix-ins to your homemade ice cream, wait until the ice cream is thick enough to "hold" the mix-ins so they don't fall to the bottom of the container.
- 24Generally, add mix-ins after 2-3 hours of freezing.
Browse Our Top Frozen Desserts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Frozen Desserts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bittersweet or White Chocolate Ice Cream
Serving Size: 1 (824 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1464.9
- Calories from Fat 1110
- Total Fat 123.3 g
- Saturated Fat 76.7 g
- Cholesterol 457.5 mg
- Sodium 201.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 83.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 67.2 g
- Protein 11.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: