Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
These cupcakes are very easy to make and are dense and rich. Cream cheese frosting recipe included. Cooling time not included. From Something Extra Magazine. Posted for ZWT 6 Germany/Benelux.
- 517.37 g chocolate cake mix with pudding
- 340.19 g bottleguinness extra stout beer or 340.19 g bottle Guinness draught
- 118.29 ml vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 113.39 g bar bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
For the frosting
- 226.79 g package cream cheese, softened
- 14.79 ml whipping cream
- 158.51 ml confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line 24 muffin cups with paper liners.
- Combine cake mix, Guinness, oil and eggs in a large bowl with an electric mixer. Beat on low speed for one minute. Scrape bowl down and beat for 2 minutes on medium.
- Stir in chocolate, and pour batter into prepared muffin cups.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cool completely and frost with cream cheese frosting (recipe follows). Keep refrigerated.
- Cream cheese frosting:.
- Beat all ingredients together until smooth. Frost cooled cupcakes.
Great recipe! Made these cupcakes for St. Patty's 2011 and loved the addition of the bittersweet chocolate. I've made Guinness Cupcakes from scratch, and I loved the ease of putting this together especially when you're short on time. I did purchase ready made butter cream frosting, but would love to make this again and do the cream cheese version. These an absolute hit at work!
I don't like to drink Guiness but I SURE DO like to cook with it! These cupcakes were a big hit at our cookout today. I used imported Belgian dark chocolate and I think a really good chocolate is imprtant in this recipe. This was made for ZWT6 by a Looney Spoon Phoodie, but I'll be keeping the recipe in my files for when I want something chocolate yummy!
Brought these to work and they were snapped up pretty quickly. Super-simple to make, and they tasted divine when they were just cooled off enough to frost. I made the frosting as written, then realized that it wasn't going to be enough frosting for me (yes, I'm a frosting hound, lol), so I started to gather the ingredients for another batch. Unfortunately, I just happened to be out of cream cheese, so I totally cheated and mixed in a can of vanilla frosting with the homemade cream cheese frosting. Not as good as the double batch of all-homemade would've been, but it worked in a pinch. I actually didn't use Guinness for these, but some dark chocolate stout that I had found at Whole Foods instead. I did find that the beery taste got a bit stronger as the cupcakes sat (I set a couple aside just in case DH wanted to try them), but I was probably picking up on that because I don't drink beer (like to cook with it, but don't like the taste of it as a beverage outside of a good limey michelada). Increasing beer taste aside (which only seemed to be an issue with me) they baked up beautifully domed, and were great with the frosting. It just means that I have to eat mine freshly frosted out of the oven, and not wait for them to sit at all, right? LOL Thanks for posting! Made for The Queens of Quisine for ZWT6 :)