Prep 24 hrs
Cook 0 mins
This is a pretty web-famous, but still delicious, mock-up of the Cadbury treat. You can make deliciously flavoured fillings by changing the extracts (my current favourite is coconut "white" and lemon "yolk").
- 100 g corn syrup
- 58 g butter
- 375 g powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla (use clear if you want 100% white "whites")
- 3⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 5 drops yellow food coloring
- 2 drops red food coloring
- bittersweet chocolate, for dipping
- In a bowl, beat together corn syrup, butter, powdered sugar, vanilla and sea salt.
- Remove 1/3 of the mixture to another bowl and stir in the food colourings.
- Chill 1 hour.
- Roll 16 small balls of the "yellow" mixture and place on a plate, freeze until solid.
- Make 16 pieces of the "white" mixture and flatten each into a rough disk.
- Place one frozen "yolk" in the centre of each "white" and wrap the white mixture around it, smoothing into a rough egg shape.
- Place completed eggs on a plate and chill.
- Melt the bittersweet chocolate in a double boiler or microwave and dip the eggs to coat.
- Allow to harden completely at room temperature.