Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons cold shortening
- 4 -6 tablespoons ice water
Bittersweet Chocolate Filling
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 (8 ounce) container Egg Beaters egg substitute
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- chocolate curls, for garnish, if desired
- In medium bowl, combine flour and salt.
- Using medium side of box grater (side used to shred carrots), grate cold butter into flour, tossing frequently.
- Cut shortening into chunks.
- Using a pastry blender, cut shortening into flour until pea-sized clumps form.
- Using fork to toss flour, stir in ice water until dough just starts to form.
- Press dough into smooth, flat disc.
- Wrap disc in plastic and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- On lightly floured surface, roll dough out to 13-inch circle.
- Transfer dough to 9-inch pie plate.
- Trim overhanging dough to 1 inch; roll and crimp overhang to make decorative edge.
- Refrigerate pie shell for 30 minutes.
- Place rack in center of oven and preheat to 400°.
- Prick chilled pie shell all over with fork.
- Line pie shell with foil; place pie weight or dry beans or rice in shell.
- Bake for 20 minutes; remove foil and weights and bake for 10-15 minutes more, until pie shell is golden.
- Let pie shell cool for 15 minutes before filling with chocolate mixture.
- In small saucepan, heat cream and sugar together over medium high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Bring mixture to a boil.
- Turn off heat; stir in chocolate until melted and smooth.
- Stir in butter until melted and smooth.
- Scrape chocolate mixture into 4 1/2-quart bowl of heavy-duty electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment.
- Let chocolate mixture stand until just warm, about 20 minutes.
- Beat chocolate mixture at medium speed for 2-3 minutes, until bottom of bowl is no longer warm.
- With mixer running at medium speed, begin pouring egg beaters down side of bowl in slow, steady stream. This will take 2 minutes.
- Continue to beat for a few more minutes, until mixture just begins to thicken around the outside edge of bowl and becomes paler in color.
- Pour mixture into prepared pie shell and refrigerate for at least 4-6 hours.
- Just before serving pie, beat heavy cream with sugar until soft peaks form, about 3 minutes, in heavy-duty mixer and 5 minutes with hand-held mixer.
- Mound whipped cream onto chilled pie.
- Garnish with chocolate curls.