1 hr 40 mins
1 hr 20 mins
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons cold shortening
- 4 -6 tablespoons ice water
Bittersweet Chocolate Filling
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 (8 ounce) container Egg Beaters egg substitute
- 1In medium bowl, combine flour and salt.
- 2Using medium side of box grater (side used to shred carrots), grate cold butter into flour, tossing frequently.
- 3Cut shortening into chunks.
- 4Using a pastry blender, cut shortening into flour until pea-sized clumps form.
- 5Using fork to toss flour, stir in ice water until dough just starts to form.
- 6Press dough into smooth, flat disc.
- 7Wrap disc in plastic and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- 8On lightly floured surface, roll dough out to 13-inch circle.
- 9Transfer dough to 9-inch pie plate.
- 10Trim overhanging dough to 1 inch; roll and crimp overhang to make decorative edge.
- 11Refrigerate pie shell for 30 minutes.
- 12Place rack in center of oven and preheat to 400°.
- 13Prick chilled pie shell all over with fork.
- 14Line pie shell with foil; place pie weight or dry beans or rice in shell.
- 15Bake for 20 minutes; remove foil and weights and bake for 10-15 minutes more, until pie shell is golden.
- 16Let pie shell cool for 15 minutes before filling with chocolate mixture.
- 17In small saucepan, heat cream and sugar together over medium high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- 18Bring mixture to a boil.
- 19Turn off heat; stir in chocolate until melted and smooth.
- 20Stir in butter until melted and smooth.
- 21Scrape chocolate mixture into 4 1/2-quart bowl of heavy-duty electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment.
- 22Let chocolate mixture stand until just warm, about 20 minutes.
- 23Beat chocolate mixture at medium speed for 2-3 minutes, until bottom of bowl is no longer warm.
- 24With mixer running at medium speed, begin pouring egg beaters down side of bowl in slow, steady stream. This will take 2 minutes.
- 25Continue to beat for a few more minutes, until mixture just begins to thicken around the outside edge of bowl and becomes paler in color.
- 26Pour mixture into prepared pie shell and refrigerate for at least 4-6 hours.
- 27Just before serving pie, beat heavy cream with sugar until soft peaks form, about 3 minutes, in heavy-duty mixer and 5 minutes with hand-held mixer.
- 28Mound whipped cream onto chilled pie.
- 29Garnish with chocolate curls.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bittersweet Chocolate Silk Pie
Serving Size: 1 (178 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 602.1
- Calories from Fat 460
- Total Fat 51.2 g
- Saturated Fat 30.2 g
- Cholesterol 151.4 mg
- Sodium 104.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 17.3 g
- Protein 3.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Egg Beaters egg substitute