Recipe by Charlotte J
Try this on toast, biscuits, pancakes, French toast, waffles or bread pudding. It’s especially lovely with banana bread and holiday breads, such as Stollen.
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped (at least 70% cocoa preferably one with up to 85% cocoa content)
- 1 cup salted butter, slightly chilled
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons orange zest, finely grated
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 cup roasted salted pistachio nut, chopped into halves and quarters
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt chocolate in microwave-safe bowl on low at one minute intervals, stirring until just melted and smooth.
- Or, using a double boiler, place chocolate in top bowl, stirring frequently until just melted, taking care not to overheat at bottom or sides.
- Allow melted chocolate to cool enough to touch.
- Place the cooled butter in a medium mixing bowl and with an electric mixer (fitted with the paddle) or wooden spoon, beat until light and fluffy.
- Scrape down the sides.
- Beat in the cooled chocolate, cocoa, zest and sugar scraping sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed to incorporate all ingredients.
- Stir in nuts if desired.
- Scrape into a small bowl, serving crock or butter mold and cover tightly; or shape into a long roll in grease-proof paper (plastic, wax or parchment) for storing and slicing as needed.
- Roasted and salted pistachios add a welcome textural contrast.