Prep 3 mins
Cook 40 mins
Valentine's day is around the corner and what better time to have the delicious big C for chocolate mousse. This is simply divine. Enjoy it!
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- In a double boiler, whisk together the yolks, sugar and salt until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is warm. This takes 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and quickly whisk in the chocolate and the unsweetened cocoa powder.
- Whisk until the chocolate melts completely and you have a yummy thick mixture before you.
- Allow it to cool to room temperature.
- In a medium bowl over lots of ice, whip chilled cream until soft peaks form.
- Whisk half of this mixture into the chocolate mixture.
- Then use a rubber spatula and gently fold in the remaining cream.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for atleast 2 hours and upto 24 hours.
- Remove from refrigerator 15 minutes before serving.
This was absolutely fabulous. Made this to surprise my husband one Valentine's Day and he still remembers it and asks for it.
I wasn't planning on making a Valentine's Day desert, but I had the cream on hand since I didn't wake up at dawn to make breakfast for my husband. I haven't seen how it sets yet, but the bit I had from scraping up bits was delicious. I used semi-sweet chocolate chips and it melts fine. Do make sure to pull your yolk mixture off the heat as you add the chocolate. I think I was close to burning my chocolate, but so far so good. Hope he likes our surprise desert to follow up the dinner we make together.