Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Also printed in yesterday's paper. From the book "Chocolate." Sounds lovely.
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, plus
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, for caramelizing the top
- 12 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 8 egg yolks
- Set a rack at the middle level of the oven and preheat to 300 degrees F.
- Bring cream and 1/2 cup sugar to a boil in a nonreactive pan. Remove from heat, add chocolate and allow to stand 3 minutes to melt. Whisk until smooth.
- Whisk egg yolks into a bowl, then whisk in chocolate mixture. Strain inot a 2-quart gratin dish that has been placed inside a baking dish or roasting pan.
- Place pans on oven rack. Add warm water to the bottom pan to about half of the depth of the gratin dish. Bake about 1 hour, or until set. To test for doneness, insert a thin knife or wooden pick in the center of the custard; it should emerge clean. Remove baking dish from roasing pan (leave the pan of water in the oven to cool) and chill custard.
- To caramelize the top, blot any moisture from the top of the chilled custard. Sprinkle evenly with 1/2 cup sugar. place under preheated broiler, or use blow torch to caramelize. Refrigerate until servign within several hours of caramelizing.