Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 mins
This is from a newspaper clipping from the Kansas City Star.
- nonstick cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons instant espresso or 2 tablespoons instant coffee powder
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box devil's food cake mix, divided
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped into chunks
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray baking sheets with nonstick cooking spray.
- In large bowl of electric mixer, combine espresso powder and water, stirring to dissolve.
- To same bowl add half of cake mix along with butter and egg.
- Mix on medium high speed 1 to 2 minutes or until smooth.
- Stir in remaining cake mix and chocolate chunks.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls, 2" apart on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake 9-12 minutes or until edges are set at center when lightly touched.
- Cool one minute on sheets.
- Transfer to cooling racks using thin, flexible spatula.
OMG, these are sooooooo good! Make this recipe, take two and set them aside then ask someone you really trust the hide the rest. Hide them well, very well, because otherwise the rest of your family might never know that they had existed. I suppose that you could make them while the family is at home but then you'd *have* to share them and you just might regret that! You might not actually have to fight the kids for them as they are geared to an adult taste with the espresso and bittersweet chocolate. While the recipe sure isn't lacking is sugar content they don't taste sweet. They taste rich, indulgent and decadent. This recipe is pure bliss in cookie form.