Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
if you like dark chocolate this is the fudge for you
- 1 lb bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 (12 ounce) can fat-free evaporated milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups walnut pieces, toasted
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Line a 13x9 metal baking pan with foil, leaving overhang.
- Combine first 4 ingredients in large bowl.
- Stir sugar, and evaporated milk in heavy large deep saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves and mixture comes to a boil.
- Attach clip on candy thermometer to side of pan.
- Boil until temperature registers 234* F, stirring constantly and adjusting the heat to avoid boiling over, about 10 minutes.
- Immediately pour milk mixture over chocolate mixture.
- Whisk until chocolate and butter melt and fudge is smooth.
- Mix in nuts and vanilla.
- Spread fudge evenly in prepared pan.
- Refrigerate uncovered until cold and set -- about 3 hours.
- Using foil as an aid, lift fudge from pan. Cut crosswise into 7 strips, then lengthwise into 5 strips.
- Return to pan and cover and chill.Can be made 2 weeks ahead.
- Keep covered and chilled.
- Bring to room temperature before serving.