Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
A Thai dish that lets you use bitter melon, which certainly lives up to its name!
Make and share this Bitter Melon and Eggs/ Mara Pad Kai recipe from Food.com.
- Cut the bitter melon in half lengthwise, remove the seeds and slice each half crosswise in thin pieces.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl with 1 to 2 tsp of light soy sauce and a dash of ground white pepper.
- Heat a wok until its surface begins to smoke.
- Swirl in the oil and let heat 10 to 15 seconds.
- Add the bitter melon and sauté in the oil for about one minute.
- Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of light soy sauce and continue to sauté for another 1 to 2 minutes, or until the melon starts to soften.
- Spread the melon pieces thinly over the wok surface.
- Pour the beaten eggs evenly over the melon pieces.
- Let eggs set about half a minute, then flip the mixture over to cook the other side.
- Cook until eggs are set and lightly browned.
I didn't know much about bitter melon, other than what I've read. My husband picked one up at an ethnic grocery store and after learning what it WAS, I searched for recipes to use it. This was, by far, the easiest one, and we think it was very tasty. In the future we will use this as a brunch dish for our friends who like to try different things.