Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
I believe, the secret of tasty food is a balance of Sourness, Sweetness, Bitterness and Hotness and to bring them all together, a pinch of salt.
- 300 g bitter melons
- 8 pieces red bird's eye chilies
- 20 g tamarind pulp
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hing
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Soak the Tamarind in warm water and take out the pulp.
- Cut the bitter marrow into 1cm cubes and set aside.
- Cut the chillies into very small pieces and set aside.
- Add olive oil onto Wok. Add the bitter marrow onto the olive oil and set the fire on simmer. Add the turmeric powder.
- The bitter marrow will slowly cook and dehydrate in 15mts.
- Add the chillies and mix well. The chillies will soften in 5 minutes.
- Add the tamarind pulp, and add salt. Add enough water to cover the ingredients in the Wok and cook in a slow fire.
- After 15 minutes of simmerring, add the Brown Sugar and mix well.
- Once the gravy reaches a consistency, add the Hing (Asefoetida) and mix well for couple of minutes more and take off fire.
- Serve with Rice or Indian Bread. Can also be served as a pickle with Curd-Rice.