Prep 35 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 8 firm-ripe bosc pears, peeled, cored, and each cut lengthwise into 8 wedges (4 lb)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 head chicory lettuce
- 1 head escarole
- 1 head radicchio
- 1 bunch watercress, coarse stems discarded
- 1 bunch mizuna, coarse stems discarded
- 1 small head romaine lettuce
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallot
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon honey
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Roast pears and make salad: Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 425°F.
- Toss pears with oil and spread in 1 layer in a 17- by 12-inch shallow baking pan, then season with salt and pepper.
- Roast pears, stirring and turning over twice, until pears are tender and beginning to brown, 20 to 30 minutes, then cool about 15 minutes.
- While pears are roasting and cooling, tear enough tender chicory and escarole leaves (discard ribs) into bite-size pieces to measure 6 cups total.
- Tear enough radicchio, watercress, mizuna, and romaine into bite-size pieces to measure 10 cups total. Toss torn greens in a large bowl and reserve remaining greens for another use.
- Make dressing and toss salad: Whisk together shallot, vinegar, honey, salt, and pepper, then add oil in a slow stream, whisking until emulsified.
- Just before serving, add roasted pears and dressing to greens and toss to combine well.