Recipe by Honeybeee
Posted in answer to a request. It is said that it helps keep diabetes in check.
Top Review by Charishma_Ramchandani
This was GREAT! I made this for dinner last night. I did add a tbsp. of kasoori methi(crushed between my palms). The chaat masala in this is the best part of the recipe. It was very nice and mom,dad and me liked it alot. Thank you so much for helping me out with this recipe. Will make it often now on:)
- 2 medium bitter gourd (karelas)
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 1 pinch turmeric powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed (moti saunf)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chat masala
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash and gently scrape the karelas so that the ridges diasappear and some skin remains on the vegetable.
- Cut into roundels or semi circles- if the seeds are ripe, discard, or else retain the seeds.
- Sprinkle turmeric powder and salt over the karelas and mix well.
- Keep aside for half an hour for the bitter juices to run out.
- After half hour, squeeze the karelas of any liquid that might remain in them and discard all the liquid.
- Heat oil in a wok or frypan.
- Add whole saunf, give it a few twirls and immediately throw in the squeezed karelas.
- Stir for 2 minutess.
- Add yogurt and cook till the yogurt comes to a rolling boil.
- Cover, lower heat and cook till the karelas are tender.
- Uncover, add ground fennel and chaat masaala.
- Cook, without covering, till all the liquid has dried.
- Check to see if you require more salt.