Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe is from Jon Snyder of the "IL Laboratorio Del Gelato" restaurant. It was printed in the June 2, 2003 issue of NY Magazine ("Italian Summer Pleasures from Antipasto to Gelato"). Prep/Cook times do not include the chilling/freezing time.
- 1 cup milk
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup good quality cocoa powder
- 5 ounces good quality bittersweet chocolate (such as Valrhona, Scharffen Berger, or Callebaut)
- 2 cups water
- Bring the milk and sugar to just under a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to low, and whisk in cocoa powder until smooth.
- Cook at a gentle simmer for 15 minutes, stirring often.
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler.
- Slowly whisk in the cocoa mixture plus 2 cups of water.
- Set over iced water to chill thoroughly.
- Transfer to an ice cream machine, and process according to manufacturer's directions.