Recipe by donutman
In my younger days, many of my roommates were vegetarians. One night when it was my turn to cook - I developed this meat-free lasagna recipe. I'm not a vegetarian, but I really liked it! I hope you do too.
Top Review by Grendel75
An extremely tasty lasagna! I like the addition of the parsley to the cheese mix. I added olives (because all vegetarian lasagna should have olives), but other than that I followed the recipe to the letter. I found it to be a little on the soupy side. I would suggest a little less tomato sauce.
- 1 lb lasagna noodle (I prefer whole wheat)
- 1 1⁄2 quarts prepared tomato sauce (canned or fresh)
- 1 lb mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 1 lb ricotta cheese
- 1 lb cottage cheese
- 1 lge green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped & packed
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 cup fresh spinach, chopped & packed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Mrs. Dash seasoning mix, original
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Undercook lasagna noodles in salted water - should still be slightly rubbery. Cool. Set aside.
- In 2 Tablespoons olive oil, saute finely chopped onion, green bell pepper, mushrooms, minced garlic and ground black pepper until tender.
- Add all but 1 cup tomato sauce to this mixture and heat slightly. Set aside.
- In separate bowl, combine ricotta cheese, cottage cheese, eggs, chopped spinach and chopped parsley. Set aside.
- Thinly slice mozzarella cheese. Set aside.
- Butter oblong baking dish that will accommodate the length of noodles. (I prefer glass.).
- Start at the bottom of pan with a layer of noodles (A); next a layer of sauce (B); next the cheeses/eggs/spinach mixture (C); next mozzarella slices (D). Continue to arrange in layers A-B-C-D-A-B-C-D-A until all ingredients are used up. Top layer should be a layer of noodles.
- Pour the last 1 cup of tomato sauce over the top.
- Sprinkle the 1/2 cup of fresh grated parmesan cheese over the sauce. And sprinkle the 1/2 tsp of Mrs Dash seasoning over the cheese.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and BAKE at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake uncovered for another 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let lasagna "set" for 10 minutes before cutting or serving.