Recipe by Elly in Canada
Ginger - fresh, ground and crystallized all in one little cupcake; the flavour is intense, use a lemon cream cheese frosting to balance the ginger. From - Fine Cooking
- 4 ounces cake flour, sifted (1 cup plus 3 tblsps)
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2⁄3 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 inch cube fresh ginger, finely grated
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest, lightly packed, finely grated
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream, at room temperature, do not use low-fat
- 1⁄4 cup crystallized ginger, finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Line 3 miniature muffin pans (12 cups each) with paper cupcake liners.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift flour, ground ginger, nutmeg, salt, baking soda and baking powder all together in a bowl.
- Put the butter in a medium size bowl, beat until smooth.
- Add half of the sugar, vanilla, grated ginger and lemon zest, beat until fluffy.
- Gradually add remaining sugar and beat until well blended.
- Add the egg and beat until batter is very smooth.
- Add 1/3 of the flour mixture and stir gently only until incorporated. Repeat with half the remaining flour and the rest of the sour cream, ending with the last of the flour.
- Stir in the crystallized ginger.
- Divide the batter evenly among the prepared muffin pans, fill about 3/4 full.
- Arrange pans on rack in centre of the oven.
- Bake until pale golden, approximately 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from oven, let cool in tins on wire racks for 5 minutes, remove cupcakes and allow to cool completely on racks.
- Frost with a heaping teaspoonful of your favourite Lemon-Cream Cheese Frosting.
- Garnish with chopped crystallized ginger or tiny strips of lemon zest or candied flowers.