Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
I know the name sounds like dog food. LOL In reality this recipe is a prize winner from the Missouri State Fair many many moons ago. It has stood the test of time and remained a favorite. I hope you enjoy it as well. I have used many different types of lean ground meat. Beef, turkey, chicken, elk, venison, wild boar that I can think of quickly. Let your personal taste and budget be your guide for the meat. Do be aware that if lean ground meat is not used the soup will get greasy as the meatballs cook.
- 2 (28 ounce) cans tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 12 cups beef broth
- 12 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 lb lean ground meat
- 1⁄4 cup long grain rice, uncooked
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- Mix all the ingredients for the base in a large pot and simmer while mixing meatballs. Use a large pot as the soup is going to need room to boil when you add the meatballs.
- In a large bowl mix all the ingredients for the meatballs.
- Shape mixture into bite sized meatballs.
- Drop into boiling broth.
- When all meatballs have been put in the broth bring the soup back to a boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until the meatballs are done.
- Can be served with shredded cheddar cheese & tortilla chips. Freezes very well without the cheese or tortilla chips.