Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This was one of my mom's favorite cakes. My mom was a great cook.
- 473.18 ml flour
- 236.59 ml canola oil
- 473.18 ml sugar
- 3 eggs
- 236.59 ml buttermilk
- 4.92 ml nutmeg
- 4.92 ml salt
- 4.92 ml cinnamon
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 1.23 ml allspice
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 236.59 ml prune, cooked and chopped
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 118.29 ml buttermilk
- 59.14 ml butter
- 2.46 ml baking soda
- Mix ingredients all together.
- Pour into 13 x 9-inch greased pan.
- Bake at 350°F for approximately 40 - 45 minutes. Check very carefully. My mom didn't put down the time in the oven.
- While cake is cooking, put ingredients for topping in pan. Bring to a boil.
- While cake is still hot, pierce the top with a fork.
- Spoon topping over cake until it is absorbed.
Wow! This is delicious! I love prunes, so was glad to find yet another great recipe to use them in. The buttermilk added a nice smooth taste to both the cake and the glaze. Will definitely make again. Thnx for sharing your recipe, Lynn. Made for the Voracious Vagabonds of ZWT 6.
Great cake ... super tasty and moist. It almost tastes like a pudding cake only better. It was easy to make. For the plums I used "Spiced Italian Plums (Prunes) in Port" that I have canned for two years now - only this year I canned them in rum. They have a bunch of spices in them so I didn't use allspice but did use the rest. I also halved the oil and used applesauce instead. I will try this with half whole wheat flour next time. Thanks for a great cake that DH adored!
Indeed, you're mom's a great cook, if this cake is any indication! VERY, VERY SATISFYING! I particularly liked the buttermilk glaze going on hot & being absorbed ~ Makes for a very moist cake, & mine was in the oven for probably a minute or so more than the 45! A definite keeper of a recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in the current Pick-A-Chef]