Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Sweet and savory flavors combine in this quick healthy sandwiches. The apple give an unexpected crunch.
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon apple cider or 1 tablespoon apple juice
- 6 wheat sandwich buns, split
- 6 bibb lettuce, leaves
- 1 medium pear, peeled, and thinly sliced
- 1 lb cooked turkey breast, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup loosely packed basil leaves
- 6 tablespoons crumbled gorgonzola
- In a small skillet over medium heat, cook onion and 1 teaspoon brown sugar in the oil for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently.
- Stir in salt, and cayenne.
- Combine the mustard, apple cider,and remaining brown sugar, and spread over bun bottoms.
- Layer` with lettuce, pear, turkey, basil, and cheese.
- Top with carmelized onions, and top with other bun half.