Recipe by greysangel
David Rosengarten made an appearance in one issue of Cooking Light and this was one of his recipes. It's impressive enough to serve for company and easy enough to serve on a weeknight.
Top Review by Dr. Jenny
DH and I made this for dinner a couple of weeks ago. I used mixed wild mushrooms and followed all directions as posted. We thought this dish was nice, but we might have liked a little more sauce. Thanks for posting.
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1⁄8 teaspoon grated fresh nutmeg
- cooking spray
- 2 lbs red potatoes, halved
- 1⁄2 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms, such as cremini, shiitake, oyster, and button
- 1 cup reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup madeira wine or 1⁄2 cup dry sherry
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Sprinkle chicken evenly with 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and grated nutmeg. Place chicken in a shallow roasting pan coated with cooking spray; cover with foil. Bake chicken, covered, at 350° for 30 minutes. Turn chicken over; bake, uncovered, an additional 30 minutes or until chicken is done. Remove chicken to a serving platter, reserving 1 tablespoon of pan drippings. Keep chicken warm.
- Place potatoes in a medium saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil; cook 15 minutes or until very tender. Drain. Return potatoes to pan; add milk, 1 tablespoon butter, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper; mash with a potato masher to desired consistency.
- Heat reserved pan drippings in a large skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms to pan; cook 3 minutes or until moisture evaporates, stirring constantly. Stir in broth and wine, scraping pan to loosen browned bits; cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in remaining 1 tablespoon butter. Drizzle gravy over chicken; sprinkle with parsley. Serve with potatoes.