Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
With summer fast approaching, it's time to dig out the fabulous sandwich recipes! This is just one of my many favorites to make!
- 1 lb beef round tip steak, 1/8-1/4-inch thick, pound if necessary
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 tablespoons light soy sauce, divided
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium red onion, cut into thin wedges
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup jarred roasted red pepper, cut into strips
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 8 slices muenster cheese or 8 slices swiss cheese or 8 slices mozzarella cheese or 8 slices c- monterey jack cheese or 8 slices cheddar cheese
- 4 (6 inch) crusty rolls or 4 (6 inch) hoagie rolls
- Stack beef steaks; cut lengthwise in half and then crosswise into 1" strips.
- Heat 1 Tbl. olive oil in non-stick skillet over med-high heat til hot.
- Stir-fry beef strips and garlic (1/2 batch at a time), 1-2 minutes or til outside surface is no longer pink.
- Remove from skillet and season with 2 Tbl. soy sauce and pepper.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Add 2 teaspoons oil to pan (if needed), and stir-fry onion 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and continue cooking 2-3 minutes or til veggies are tender.
- Add red pepper, wine and remaining 1 Tbl. soy sauce, bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and return beef to skillet.
- Heat through.
- Pile beef mixture onto bottoms of rolls.
- Top each with 2 slices cheese.
- Place on cookie sheet with tops next to bottoms cut side up, and broil just til cheese is melted and inside tops are lightly toasted.
We all liked this sandwich very much. I made as directed except for the roasted red peppers. When I opened my jar of peppers, they were spoiled so I had to proceed without them. I know the peppers would be awesome in this though, so next time, I will be sure to use them. I still had about 1/3 cup of liquid left after heating through so I just drained it off. Then, I thought that maybe I should have kept it for a dipping sauce (like au jus). Thx for sharing this recipe!
I have made this recipe over and over and over. Love it!! It won't let me rate again so I'm giving it a 5 star, more if I could. I don't use the red peppers because I don't like them. Sometimes to give it a little more zip I use Worcestershire sauce instead of the soy and red wine. I use Ciabatta buns and provolone cheese. I want to try other sandwiches but I keep making these because I know these are sooooo good.
Very good sandwich!!!I made this as directed and used mozzarella cheese as that's what i had on hand and turned out great.Thanks